Happy Fall!

Happy Fall!

Monday, January 26, 2009

Back from Vacation

It is snowing today and cold! One week ago, I was lying on a beach in the Mayan Riviera, on the eastern coast of Mexico, about 90 minutes south of Cancun. I was lucky enough to take this quick trip away with 3 friends, Lisa Falcone and Ronni Beckwith, who both used to work in Comp with me at ConAgra and have become great friends and Molly Popish, who still works in HR at ConAgra and I have had a ton of fun getting to know.




We went Friday through Tuesday and stayed at the Barcelo Maya Caribe Beach Resort, which was a sprawling all-inclusive locale with alcohol flowing from the taps. We spent our mornings sleeping until 8, eating breakfast and then planting on the beach until the sun was high in the sky and really hot. At that point, we headed to the pool area where a couple of us did water aerobics (I was too lazy) and hung out next to the freezing cold pool. After that it was lunch and back to the beach until the sun was going down at about 5:30. Our evenings consisted of usually perusing the shops, drinking, eating dinner and even hitting the "Discoteque".

The resort was pretty and you never really had to leave because everything you needed was right there. The food was fine. Some people were saying it was bad, but I tried to remember that these resorts are catering to all cultures, so that is difficult to make everyone happy. There were so many people from areas other than the US. Italy, Germany, Switzerland, France, Canada, just to name a few. You could also ride those really big "water tricycles" out into the ocean, kayak and even windsurf. The beach was soft white sand and the ocean was salty as ever. On our last day, we did dive in and swim for a bit in the ocean, just to say we did!! The room was OK size, but the beds were pretty small, we got to know each other real well. It wasn't as bad as I thought have 4 women get ready for the evening in one room. We all did quite well. We have talked about doing something like this annually, so maybe this time next year, I will be returning from the beach again....I can only hope!




The kids and Rich did well without me. I had all of Sydney's close laid out for each day, because who knows what she would wear if I didn't. Gage has grown to be quite the independent kid, so I knew he would be fine. I think Rich missed me when he realized that he couldn't work the new washer and dryer when he wanted to do some laundry! See, I knew they needed me. They had fun though. Rich took them to a buddy's house to play with the kids, the Amazing Pizza Machine was visited and they studied spelling words, which on another note, Gage aced his first test on Friday, 100%!!

Well, I hope you enjoyed hearing about my trip, it was uneventful, just like you want it. Except, of course, for the topless lady I forgot to mention. She was on the beach all 3 days and one day just a few chairs down. That takes some guts and it didn't really bother me, but had the kids been there, it would have been hard with their pointing and snickering! The 5 things that came out of this trip are:

1. I really did miss my family while I was gone!
2. I have become a Twilight addict (already on book 3)
3. Travelling with people you don't know very well is fun and a great way to get to know them better.
4. Teach my husband to use the washer and dryer before I leave, so less laundry when I return.
5. Take a trip like this EVERY year, because mom's need a break too.












No comments: